Grilling and Bonfire safety tips.
It is getting closer to grilling and bonfire season! Are you someone who loves to grill or sit by a bonfire? Did you know on average 8,900 home fires are caused by a grill each year? Are you prepared when you start grilling or when you light that bonfire? We want to keep you and your home safe this year! Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind so your home doesn’t get any fire damage!
Grilling Safety Tips:
- Make sure you are grilling outside and away from your home
- Have someone watching the grill at all times
- Keep a 3-foot area cleared around the grill
- Always have water near the grill
Bonfire Safety Tips:
- Only burn dry materials
- Look for overhead wires, cables and branches
- Keep water nearby
- Make sure you are far from trees, bushes, barns, houses, etc.
If anything were to happen to your home while you are grilling or sitting by the fire; be sure to call your local fire department first, then call SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon at 618-233-1289. We will be out there as soon as possible to make your home look “Like it never even happened.”
The Myths about Mold
When it comes to mold, there are many misconceptions that leave homeowners confused and misinformed. Just by mentioning the word “mold” causes people to panic. Although mold can be a very serious problem and should always be taken seriously, it is critical to have all the correct facts, so you can make knowledgeable decisions when necessary.
- “Bleach kills mold”
- Bleach is able to kill certain types of mold on nonporous surfaces, but it is uncertain on whether or not it can kill all types of mold on every surface. Most of the retail products out there only discolor the mold and are not suggested for porous surfaces for example, drywall, carpet, ceiling tiles and wood.
- “Mold is only found in homes with water damage”
It is true that mold generally forms in any areas that have problems of water seepage or flooding but unfortunately all homes could potentially wind up with having a mold problem. Molds and mildews are present both indoors and outdoors, and when mold spores land on a surface that contains moisture, that mold can begin to grow.
- “You don’t have to remove mold if you kill it”
- Even if you are able to kill the mold, there are allergens that live in mold that are still active. These allergens can even become airborne even if the mold is dead. Mold can also go dormant until conditions in the environment are optimal for regrowth. To protect yourself and your home, it is necessary to remove the affected area and remove the items that contain mold. You need to be cautious not to spread the mold spores to unaffected areas. Professionals, like us, are properly trained to handle mold allergens without further contaminating your home.
- “A small amount of mold is nothing to worry about”
- A small amount of visible mold in your home may just be the tip of the iceberg. Chances are it has been growing for some time now and requires a certified mold inspector to further inspect the situation.
- “Mold Remediation is easy to do on your own”
That is not always the case. When it comes to small areas of mold, it can be handled easily. But when the problem becomes pervasive, it is best to call the professionals. SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon is always “Here To Help!”
We are ready for any size disaster!
Fire or water damage; we are prepared.
Did you know that 50% of business that are affected by fire or flood disasters never reopen?
Your local SERVPRO of Belleville–O’Fallon not only does residential disasters, but we also do business disasters! We have the equipment and crews available 24/7 to you when a disaster strikes your business. Dealing with a fire, water or any damage to your business is stressful. We understand you will want someone out there immediately and the job done as soon as possible. Our team is available 24/7 to you; because the longer your business is closed, the longer you go without making money. Our team understands how important it is for your business to reopen as soon as possible. We will not only be there at any time of day or night, but we will also make it look "Like it never even happened.”
Let us be the ones to ease the stress when a disaster strikes your business!
Give our SERVPRO team a call! 618-233-1289
Biohazard Mattress Clean-up in Madison County
Bloody vomit stains from a sick dog.
This past week our cleaning team was sent out to a house in Madison County. The homeowners experienced an unwanted and horrific wakeup call. Their dog must have eaten something bad the day before and puked up blood all over their king size bed. They were upset and didn’t want to buy a new mattress. Luckily, they remembered we do mattress cleanings! The picture shows the before stains on the mattress left by the dog.
Our professional cleaners were there in a few hours after receiving the call. The cleaners worked very hard to disinfect and clean the bed. The homeowners were very impressed with how well the blood came out and were happy they didn’t have to buy a new mattress!
Is there a stain in your carpet or upholstery you can’t get out? Give us a call today 618-233-1289!
Our team will make it look “Like it never even happened.”
St. Clair County Residents: We Specialize In Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your St. Clair basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 618-233-1289
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 618-233-1289
Are you and your employees prepared for an emergency?
If an emergency were to happen in your business today, would you and all employees be prepared? If your answer is no then don’t be frightened! SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon is here to help! We can come out to your business and set up an Emergency Ready Plan for FREE!
What is an Emergency Ready Plan aka ERP? An ERP is a packet for you and your employees to have to help keep everyone calm during an emergency. The packet includes a property overview, building access information, an emergency action checklist, contact information for the local Fire Department, Police Department, and Hospital, pictures of all shut off valves and description of location, and more. We can add any information you think would be necessary for an emergency. For example: we can add photos and locations of all fire extinguishers, add a map for fire routes, and even add where the safe areas are for a tornado or earthquakes.
Give us a call at 618-233-1289 to set up an appointment for you FREE ERP!
When a Storm or Flood happens, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When a storm hits, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 618-233-1289
Mold is very harmful
With all of this rain we have been having, it is important to make sure there is no water leaking into your home or business. If you have a leak and leave it untreated there is a higher chance of mold growth in that area. Mold growth can grow from just the smallest leaks. It is very important to have any water damage cleaned promptly and by professionals. Leaving mold untreated can be very harmful to you, your family, workers, and customers. There are three signs of mold you can check for.
2. Strong musty odors
3. Excessive humidity
If you see any of these three signs give us a call. We are available 24/7 to take your calls and to service your needs. Let SERVPRO keep your home or business safe by doing what needs to be done to clean it. Don’t wait too long to give us a call. The sooner you call the sooner your home or business will be safer and mold FREE.
Give us a call at 618-233-1289
Holiday Fire Tips
The winter holiday season is almost over but that does not mean the risk of a holiday fire is gone. According to NFPA, National Fire Protection Association, 10% of fireworks fires occur during the period from December 30 through January 3. Also, the top three days for home candle fires is Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Following are some emergency tips to follow until SERVPRO arrives to help: limit movement in the home to prevent soot from being embedded in the carpet, keep your hands clean to avoid spreading soot to unaffected walls, if the electricity if off, empty the freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open to prevent odor. For additional tips, please contact SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon at 618-233-1289 to request a copy of our “what to do until help arrives” brochure.
Preventing pipes from freezing
With the holiday season getting closer and the temperatures getting cooler the American Red Cross offers these tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing during the winter months.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
-Source: American Red Cross