Our goals at SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon
Working in the Saint Clair County area, SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon strives to serve the community and help to clean up a variety of different kinds of damages quickly and efficiency. We work on both residential homes and commercial businesses. Our goals are to get families back into their homes as quickly as possible and help businesses get up and running as soon as they can. There are times when we are able to work on commercial business while they are still open in order to ensure that they lose as little business as possible.
We also communicate with the insurance company throughout the entire process which helps to take some of the stress and worry off of the home owner or business owner. We want to ensure that walk with you from every step from start to finish so that every question you may have is answered. If you have any questions about a water or fire damage or any other types of cleaning or restoration call us 24/7 at 618-233-1289. Our friendly and experienced team is ready and waiting to answer any questions you may have.
Protecting your home with the dropping temperatures outside!
As the winter months bring colder weather it is important to protect your home from water damages that could be caused by your pipes freezing. Water expands as it freezes, which places pressure on pipes and puts them at risk of cracking or bursting. Pipes that are most at risk include those that are outside such as hose, swimming pool, or sprinkler lines. Others include those that are along exterior walls, have little insulation or are in unheated areas of the house such as garages, unfinished basements, crawl spaces, and attics.
Here at SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon we want to help keep your Saint Clair County home safe and sound. Some ways that you can protect your home from freezing pipes include:
-At summers end, drain and store outdoor hoses from the winter
-Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler lines, while following manufacturer instructions.
-Locate pipes that are in areas that are unheated or uninsulated such as under cabinets, or in the garage. Both hot and cold lines should have insultation.
-Consider adding insulation to your attic, crawl space, and basement to further protect pipes from the cold.
-Keep the garage doors closed in freezing weather to keep as much heat in as possible
-When the temperature drops, and you have exposed or uninsulated pipes, leave the cold water faucet on at a trickle to help prevent freezing.
-Keep cabinet doors open to allow air flow to the pipes underneath (ensure that there are no chemicals or other products inside that children or pets could get into).
-If you are going on vacation, leave the heat on in your home and consider having someone come to check on your house in case of freezing temperatures.
This list was adapted from https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/winter-storm/frozen-pipes.html.
We hope you stay warm and safe this winter. If you have any questions, or experience a water loss emergency our team is always available 24/7 at 618-233-1289.
Make room for safety in your Thanksgiving plans!
The Thanksgiving holiday is often centered around food, family, friends, and fun. Much of the time around the holiday can be spent in the kitchen preparing new recipes, family recipes, and/or baking. During this time of cooking and baking it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and to forget these easy safety tips. Kitchen fires and accidents are extremely common around the holidays and at SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon in St. Clair County we want you and your family to remain safe and worry free.
Some ways that you can prevent kitchen fires and accidents are:
- Limit the amount of people in the kitchen. Encourage children and pets to stay out of the kitchen while cooking food.
- Clean cooking surfaces often to avoid getting a build up of grease in the kitchen
- Keep the floors and counters in the kitchen as clear as you can. Ensure that there are no appliances on the counters with dangling wires, or items on the floor that could pose as a tripping hazard.
- Stay in the kitchen while preparing food on the stove top and in the home while food is being prepared in the oven. Stay aware of food that is cooking and check on it frequently.
- Keep any flammable objects such as dishtowels, oven mitts, or food packaging away from heat sources such as the oven, stove top, or other appliances.
- Ensure that clothing does not have any loose material and try to avoid wearing dangling jewelry.
- Check that all smoke detectors in the house are working and have working batteries in them.
- Place a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and ensure that the individuals in the household know how to use it properly.
We wish you a fun and safe holiday season! Our team is on call 24/7, even during the holiday season. If you experience a fire, we are standing by to make it “Like it never even happened”. Call us at 618-233-1289.
Consequences of Storm Damage
Storms blow in at the blink of an eye. Then as fast as they appear, they are gone leaving a trail of damage behind. This post is going to mention some of the possible ways that a storm can cause damage. Here at SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon, we have an experienced and efficient team available 24/7 to help quickly clean up any damage that may occur to prevent any additional damage and keep your stress levels at a minimum. Call us at 618-233-1289 to speak to a member of our team about any questions or concerns you may have.
Some possible effects of a storm could include:
-Cracked or broken windows or glass doors
-Siding or other cosmetic damages to the house
-Sump pump failures causing basements or other areas to flood
-Clogged gutters causing water to backup and create leaks/flooding
Catching these damages quickly and cleaning them up efficiently will prevent more damage and the possibility of needing more costly repairs.
Is your commercial business prepared for an emergency?
Our free Emergency Ready Profile will help your company easily store and access important information.
In an emergency situation there may be some information that you need to be able to know and access quickly. This could include things such as where the water main shut off is, where the gas main is located, and where the electric breakers are located. SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon can help your business prepare for an emergency situation by compiling all of this information in an Emergency Ready Profile. We will include photos and directions to water, gas, and electric shut offs as well as contact information and other important phone numbers your employees may need in an emergency. This free profile can be kept in either a digital file or hard copy for easy access to all of this important information. Call us today at 618-233-1289 to schedule a free Emergency Ready Profile appointment. We would be happy to help your business be prepared in the event of an emergency situation.
Preventing Water Loss Emergencies
The weather can often change quickly. While it may be sunny one morning, the afternoon may bring rain or cooler temperatures. For this reason, we must always be prepared. Though we can’t always count on the weather to remain the same, SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon is always standing by and prepared to help.
There are several preventative measures that you can take to help prevent water loss emergencies. This type of loss represents the bulk of the losses that we see.
- Disconnect hoses or sprinklers. If the temperature goes below freezing, standing water in your hose may freeze and cause your pipes to burst.
- Clean and inspect roofs/gutters. Keep gutters free of leave and other debris. Inspect regularly to insure there are no signs of damage or aging.
- Check appliances for leaks regularly. Staying aware of and maintaining appliances can help to avoid water loss emergencies.
- Know where the water main shut off valve is located. This can help to stop the water from flowing into your home quickly in case of an emergency.
- Check that your sump pump in is working condition. This can be completed by either unplugging the unit and plugging it back in to ensure that it turns back on, or by running water through the pump until it turns on.
Effectively Cleaning Soot After a Fire
After a fire, soot is a black residue that often remains and clings to any available surface, from walls and ceilings, to furniture, household belongings and even our own hands and clothes. Soot can be stubborn and hard to clean, so simply wiping it away will often be ineffective and attempting to use a wet cloth can cause the soot to smear and stain.
At SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon, our experienced production team are trained in the most effective methods to clean up soot and other fire damage to restore your belongings.
Some of the methods we use include, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning all parts of furniture and household belongings to ensure that all of the soot and smoke odor is removed
- Removing hardware such as knobs or handles to clean behind them. We will often take a photo of the item beforehand to ensure it gets put back together appropriately.
- Taking the time to look at what the item is made out of to ensure we clean it appropriately. Some items we can use a wet or dry sponge on, or we may need to vacuum away excess soot.
- Our technicians use low-alkaline cleaners that quickly strip the surface of soot. If the soot leaves a stain behind on the surface, the technician then uses a thick creme paste specifically for wood that minimizes stains. Upon finishing and rinsing this off, an application of our Lemon Oil Polish leaves the piece protected and smelling beautiful. Heat often strips natural wood of the oils that kept it from developing cracks and this polish can help prevent this from further damaging your furniture.
If you have any questions about fires or soot damage, call SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon today at 618-233-1289.
Making sure Halloween is safe and fun!
October is here and that means Halloween is quickly approaching. Halloween is a time for children and families to have fun with costumes, events, and candy! Here at SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon we want you to be able to relax and enjoy the holiday with your family. These fire safety tips will help to ensure that everyone can have a Halloween that is full of fun, not stress!
-Instead of using candles in jack-o-lanterns or other Halloween decorations, consider using battery operated candles or glow sticks.
-Ensure that children's costumes do not have any long, trailing fabric that could brush against candles or cause tripping hazards. If the costume includes a mask, check ensure that it fits appropriately and the eye holes are large enough for child to see out of.
- Talk to children about fire safety and explain that they should stay away from any open flames or jack o lanterns that may have candles in them.
-Provide children with a glow stick or flashlight as part of their costume and review an emergency plan with them that can include what they should do if they become separated from adults, or if another emergency such as a fire occurs.
- Ensure that emergency exits are kept clear and are not blocked by furniture or holiday decorations. Also check that all smoke detectors are working and have working batteries in them.
-Check decorations to ensure that they are not located near any open flames or heat sources such as light bulbs or heaters, Try to avoid using decorations that could become dry and flammable such as crepe paper, dried flowers, or corn stalks.
We hope that you have safe and fun Halloween. If needed SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon is always here for you 24/7. We can be reached at 618-233-1289.
Damage caused by a flooded basement
A basement can flood at any time for many different reasons, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are the lowest level of a building and are typically built partly or entirely below ground level which causes them to flood more often. There are a number of different factors that could cause your basement to flood, including:
- Heavy rain or storms in the area
- Surface water pooling around your home, typically caused by heavy rain
- Foundation drainage failure
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
It is important to work quickly in the event of a flooded basement. A flooded basement can jeopardize both you and/or your families health and safety, as well as causing damage to your home's structure. The more time that passes could cause more damage and necessary repairs.
It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and efficiently. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Contact us Today at 618-233-1289. We are available 24/7.
Thank you to Customers for Reviews!!
We would like to thank all of our customers who have taken the time to leave us a wonderful reviews!
SERVPRO of Belleville-O’Fallon works very hard to satisfy all of our customers. We understand how stressful it is to experience a fire, water or other damage in your home or business. Our crews will work 24/7 to restore your home or business.
One customer wrote “The whole crew was absolutely great. Everyone from the person who handled my first phone call to the very end”
“5 stars in my book. All of the staff at SERVPRO were extremely helpful, friendly and thorough! I hope I never have to use you again because water damage stinks but if I do need someone I'll call you!! Many thanks for a great job!” -Abby
“This was a great number of people that I talked to, very helpful. I would give them the very highest recommendation to everyone. Thank you so much for your help. The cleaning was so great.”- Patricia
If water or fire damage from a small pipe leak to a house full of smoke happens to your home or business; give our office a call at 618-233-1289. Our crews are available 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened.”